Ruqyah in Islam is the recitation of Qur'an, seeking of refuge, remembrance and supplications that are used as a means of treating sicknesses and other problems. Ruqyah are of two types:
A) Ruqyah Ash Shariah
B) Ruqyah Ash Shirkiyah (this is haram)
A)Ruqyah Ash Shariah - mentioned above, it has three conditions:
1) It must be with the speech of Allah (Quran) His names and attributes and the Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad Peace and Blessings upon Him.
2) It must be in the Arabic language, or what is known to be its meaning in other languages.
3) To believe that Ruqyah has no benefit by itself, but the benefits are from Allah.
This type of Ruqyah is permissible.
B) Ruqyah Ash Shirkiyah: this contradicts the conditions of Ruqyah Ash Shariah and has in it Shirk, associating partners with Allah. It leads a person to his destruction in this life and the next and increases calamities and sicknesses. This type of Ruqyah is prohibited, from the statement of the Prophet Muhammad Peace and Blessings upon Him. This type includes: Magic (whether learning, practicing, or teaching it), Fortune telling, Horoscopes, superstitious belief, taking help from Jinn and at-Tameemah (charms, taweez and amulets) - This is all shirk.
Conditions of a person who treats with Ruqyah:
1) He must have the right belief in Allah (Based on Quran and Sunnah - Aqeedah of Ah Al-hadiths, understanding of Sahabah and keep away form Shirk)
2) He must have sincerity in worshiping Allah and have a good intention in treating people
3) He must be firm in his obedience to Allah, and keep away form all that is forbidden
4) He must keep far away from all unlawful places and situations that can lead to what is forbidden.
5) He must guard the affairs of his patients and protect their secrets.
Treating with Muawwizaat, (Surah An-Naas, Al-Falaq, etc) and other forms, such as the names of Allah are medicine for the soul. So if these forms of treatment are on the tongue of the righteous, cure will be achieved by the will of Allah."
3)Follow Allah and the Sunnah and strictly avoid the path of shaytan
4) Not to perform Ruqyah in a state of major impurity (junub) or in a place that is not permissible to perform ibadah i.e. graveyard, bathroom, etc
5) Providing a setting of faith:
- Burning any taweez
- No music/ modern so-called nasheeds, inappropriate TV programs
- Removing photos and statues, pictures of any living thing
6)In the case of women – they must have a mahram present and fully cover hair, body and face during ruqyah as they are prone to the evils of shaytan if they do not do so.
And only Allah knows best